Sunday, April 15, 2012

Introducing. . .Kimber Dodson

Steve and I reported to Akron General hospital at 7:30 in the morning to begin getting ready for my c-section. We were the first couple there that morning, so we had a lot of nurses and doctors coming in to check on us. They also had a lot of students that day. Even though I hate needles, I went ahead and let a student put in my iv. Actually, she tried to put it in but couldn't, so her professor had to do it for her. Even she struggled trying to find my little veins.
Steve and I enjoyed playing around with our little caps before the surgery. I am sporting the bonnet look. Steve's best look was when he puffed it up in the middle and made himself look like the pope. The nurses thought it was really funny and had never seen anyone play with their caps before, which I found surprising.
Pope Steve! I was taken into the operating room and was given my spinal before they brought in Steve. Steve held my hand during the whole operation. The medication makes it a little difficult to breathe, so I had a little bit of anxiety during the whole thing. I looked over at Steve and he was sweating really bad and had gotten really pale. I asked him what was wrong and he said he didn't feel well. I was worried that he was going to faint. I asked him what was going on with him and he said he didn't want to talk about it. Later, Steve told me that he was very nervous during the whole surgery and kept thinking about all the things that could go wrong. I think we both felt that way this time, because the last time we were just so tired and ready to get Addison born that we didn't even think about it. Kimber Dodson
10:09 am
7 lbs 10 oz
19 inches long
*Kimber weighs 1 oz more than Addison did and is the same length that Addison was at birth*
7 lbs 9.9 oz
Getting cleaned up
The happy daddy!
I was a little tired after the surgery and was feeling pretty cold, so they gave Kimber and I lots of blankets to snuggle in.
Kimber didn't have any complications after birth. She just hung out in the incubator for a few minutes after birth. The rest of the hospital stay she roomed with us.
We were lucky to be the first people there that day. We were given the large suite at no extra charge. Addison spent that morning at a friend's house, so by the time she made it to the hospital she was completely asleep!
Grammy introducing Addison to baby Kimber
sleeping peacefully
We arrived at the hospital Tuesday morning and checked out Friday afternoon. Overall, everything went really smooth and it was a good experience. My mom stayed with us for almost two weeks and handled basically everything, so I really got to focus on breastfeeding and trying to heal from my c-section.
Kimber loves to sleep a lot and has to be woken to eat much of the time. Like Addison, she has had some trouble putting on weight, but I have been feeding her every 2-3 hours around the clock and she seems to be filling out. I am very interested in seeing what she weighs at our next doctor's appointment. We are very happy to have Kimber as a part of our family and am so blessed to have her.

No comments:

Post a Comment