Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Book Review: Happiest Toddler on the Block

A few weeks ago, I took a special trip to the Edmond library on a mission. I had been looking online for good books on toddlers: toddler mind development, toddler discipline, and stay-at-home mom with toddler books. Anyway, online I become overwhelmed with the number of books. How could I decide what to buy? I really didn't know what book to begin with, so I figured I would go to the library and check it out.
The library didn't have most of the books that I had written down and were interested in, but I found 6 books to begin my education in Toddlerville. I chose to read The Happiest Toddler on the Block first. I was familiar with Dr. Karp's book The Happiest Baby on the Block. I haven't read it, but I watched a dvd version that my friend Catie brought me.
Book Review: This book is great for helping a parent to gain more understanding of their toddler. These are 3 the main principles covered in The Happiest Toddler on the Block book.

1. It helps to think of your toddler as a little. . . caveman. Basically, Dr. Karp is reminding parents that toddlers have brains that are developing. They are not able to understand our logical explanations and respond VERY emotionally. Toddlers are also driven by impulse.
2. Getting to know your child's temperment. Dr. Karp explains different temperment types and helps explain how knowing your child's temperment can help you in the way your react them them.
3. The Fast Food rule: When a toddler is upset, Dr. Karp suggests showing that you understand what the toddler wants before telling them "no" or telling them "it's okay." The name comes from the idea that all fast food windows will confirm your order (repeat it back to you) before they do anything else. Similarly, Dr. Karp suggests that a parent repeat back to a toddler what they want and show they understand the toddlers wants/desires before redirecting them or telling them no.

Buy or Borrow?: Personally, I think this book is worth a read but I think that borrowing will suffice. This book is full of general tips that can help a parent to better understand the attitude and behavior or their toddler. I think it really helped me to better understand Addison's development and her level of understanding at this time. When Addison begins to have a meltdown about something she wants, it has helped me to show her that I understand what she is feeling before I deny her request or redirect her to something more appropriate.

Does anyone have suggestions of good parenting books? I am really looking for good books on toddler development, discipline, or about being a stay-at-home mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment