Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Book Review: What to Expect the Toddler Years

I am sure many of you are familiar with this series. I read the What to Expect When You're Expecting while pregnant and also enjoyed reading What to Expect the First Year, so I was pleased to find that this series continued into the toddler years.
What I found: One thing that I really like about this book is that is gives development markers to look for. It gives me a few skills that I can work on with Addison and can see if she is keeping up with what is typical for her age. I also like all the specific examples that are given from mothers and how the answers are described step by step.
This book is really good if you are looking for tips on dealing with specific problems (getting rid of pacifiers, toilet training, temper tantrums) and if you are wanting to see the typical milestones for child of that age. Development is divided by months, which helps for a parent to see a more specific time frame.
Buy or Borrow: In this case, I would buy this book. There is SO much information and the whole book can be cross referenced for different problems you are having. I could see myself picking up this book in several different situations to look for suggestions. Since this series is so popular though, I am betting that I can find this book used at either a child consignment store or online. I think this would make a good addition to my book shelf for future reference.

What good parenting books have you read? I would love suggestions for future reading.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't really read too many toddler parenting books but I really did love this one. I love how all the advice is really practical and calm, since I often reach for the book when I'm a little panicked about something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that with this book you really can reach for it when you have a specific problem. It is really well divided and cross referenced, so you can quickly get an answer to a problem. When you have more time, then you can sit down and injest more of the info.

    ReplyDelete