Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Not in the car!

Addison has been struggling with her weight ever since her birth at the hospital. We really struggled with breastfeeding for the first week, until I realized how independent Addison is and that I had to learn to breastfeed her the way she wanted to be breastfed. But, we are still working on getting her back up to her birth weight of 7 lbs. 9 oz.
After leaving the hospital Addison had gotten down to 7 lbs. 1 oz. Dr. Simmon's wanted us to bring her in a week later for a weight check. This was my first outing with Addison where I would be driving and she would be in the back seat with no one sitting right by her to watch her. I fed her right before we left so she would be ready to be gone for a while (big mistake). I hadn't even driven out of the neighborhood when I heard Addison majorly throwing up and gasping for air. I VERY quickly parked on the side of the road and jumped into the back seat with my baby. It seemed to take forever to get her out of the car seat straps, so I could start working on getting her airway cleared.
We got to the doctor, thankfully without another incident, and found out she weighed 7 lbs. 4 oz. I took her again today and she weighs 7 lbs. 6 oz. I am very grateful she is gaining weight, but I have definitely learned not to feed her right before we leave the house!

2 comments: