Thursday, June 23, 2011

Potty Training: Day and NIGHT!

Day one of potty training. . . a huge success. Last night, a nightmare! It took forever to convince Addison to go potty twice as recommended by 3 Day Potty Training. I finally got Addison to bed and went back in a little over an hour later to take Addison potty (the author suggests this for children that do not wake up dry- Addison NEVER wakes up dry). I gently tried to rouse Addison only to find her DEAD asleep! I touched her bottom only to find that she had already gone pee and was now completely sleeping in her own urine. . . nice. I removed her shorts and panties (she's still completely asleep by the way) and picked her up because she was still sleeping in a pool of urine that had been soaked into a potty training mattress pad sheet. I placed a very groggy Addison on the potty and she very confusedly hugged me and groaned. No go.
After wiping off the pee, changing the sheets, and redressing Addison's bottom half, I dropped my still mostly asleep child back in bed.
At 5:15 am, I awoke and went in to rouse Addison to have her try and go potty (again following the 3 Day Potty Training instructions of going in 1 hour before the child usually rises). I found myself enjoying a cup of dejavu as Addison was already sleeping in a pool of sickenly smelling urine. I repeated my past steps with the only difference being that Addison fussed a lot about being put on the potty this time. After she sat there, not going potty, I lifted her up and took her back to the room to lay her back to bed. I thought Addison would lay down quietly because she was basically asleep on my shoulder already, but NO! She began screaming "mommy, mommy!" and wanted OUT OUT OUT! I went ahead and left her and thankfully after 5 minutes she calmed down and slept till 8pm.
After going through this nightmare, I seriously questioned WHAT SHOULD I DO? Do I put Addison in pull-ups at night? I have LOTS of friends that use pull-ups at night till their children are older, but they are potty trained during the day. . . .I could see how it be confusing to the child. . . don't pee in panties during day, pee away at night. . . .but still I didn't want to do THIS routine every night.
You may be surprised to hear that I laid Addison down tonight in her panties! I'm shocked myself, but here's what happened. Addison woke up after her afternoon nap. . . dry! I didn't think she would; she had downed milk like there was no more milk in the world and all the cows had disappeared, but it was true. I also kept thinking about how I had only given it one night and I keep hoping, wishing, PRAYING that it won't be as bad as last night. So I sit here typing while Addison gently falls to sleep and I'm hoping to find a dry baby in 30 minutes that wants to go potty and not stew in pee during her sleep. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment