Sunday, June 26, 2011

Confession

When I began this blog, I wanted it to serve as a medium to be able to share info about Addison with family and friends. I purposefully left out a lot of the things that were happening to myself and Steve.
When I was training to be a teacher, we were told again and again (once by a lawyer!) how important it was for teachers not to put "stuff" out on the internet. Tales were told of people fired based on things they had put on the internet. Now, I don't live a lifestyle that would leave me fearful of being fired, but I didn't like the idea of students or their parents looking me up on the internet and reading my blog or facebook account. I remember after Addison was born that I wrote an entire blog post about my experiences suffering from baby blues. I never posted it.
What has changed? I am no longer a teacher. It feels weird at moments to say that because I loved being a teacher. Even though I have loved being a teacher, what I wanted even more was to be a full time stay-at-home mommy. As a child, my mother stayed home with us. I remember vividly sitting down at the kitchen table for mommy's "school" (mom wanted to keep our brains sharp during the summer months). I remember several times forgetting needed items as home that were quickly brought to me by my mother. I always knew that if we had a big event at school or if they needed a volunteer to help that my mom would be there. I've always wanted to be that kind of mother.
Steve and I couldn't afford for me to stay home when Addison was first born, but with Steve getting his first big 'after college' job it has made this possible. There are still sacrifices. Steve is gone for 3 weeks at a time. When he comes home, the visit is 3 days before he returns. Addison often asks for her daddy and I have to remind her daily "Daddy's at work." Financially, of course we would be better off if I continued working, but we have agreed that we can make this situation work.
Okay, so now that's out of the way. . . here's my confession. I've wanted to be a stay-at-home mom for years, so I found it very interesting my gut reaction to a situation a few weeks ago. While Steve and I were at the hospital with Addison, the nurse was asking me questions about our insurance. She asked to confirm that I was a teacher. I corrected her and told her that I was a stay-at-home home. She plugged me in as a "homemaker." And it happened. I felt this small flutter of embarrassment inside of myself. Why? Where did that come from? I worried about how that woman perceived me because of my "lack of a job." Did she think I was uneducated? Did she think I was lazy? I felt embarrassed and confused about why I felt embarrassed.
I told my sister-in-law Melissa about this experience. She said she thinks it was Satan's influence. I think she has a point. Satan has been working on destroying the family. Culturally, it is typical now for the husband and wife to work. Steve and I discussed how nice it would feel to have me work another year and to pay off a nice chunk of the house.
But then I think back to the mornings when Addison wanted me to read her a book and I had to rush her/me out the door to get to school. I think of the times that she showed me a letter and wanted me to teach her about it, but I was too tired or too busy fixing dinner or grading papers. Now, I imagine all the books we have read together now that I'm home all day. I imagine the little "discoveries" that Addison has made and I was able to witness. I think of all the times she has grabbed my face and kissed me with all the love and gratitude she feels towards me. I think this stay-at-home mom thing is going to be good. . .

6 comments:

  1. so is that what you have thought about me for the past few years? that i was lazy and uneducated? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I never thought of you as uneducated. . . :) I was just surprised and sickened that I felt embarrassed about it at all! I've been so jealous of the other women I know that are stay-at-home moms and wanted that same opportunity. I think very few people realize how much work is involved in being a stay-at-home mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I really appreciate your comments. I'm sorry that I sounded like I was against all working mothers.
    I believe that God has a plan for each person and that it's their plan. Not my plan, not a plan for all girls/boys, and I have lived my life trying to follow God's plan for me. God's plan for me has often been very different than the plan I had for myself. I don't believe that God's plan for me and God's plan for you or all women is the same. It shouldn't be.
    The comment about Satan was my repeating of my sister-in-laws words and my trying to figure out why I responded the way I did. I believe that Satan would like for us to look down on people that choose be a stay at home mom. I'm not suggesting (or at least I wasn't trying to suggest) that being a working mother is wrong.
    You're right that my post was about working out my feelings about staying home full time. I've wanted this for so long and it's now here. The picture is so different than I had seen it (Steve gone so much and toddlerhood is an interesting village to live in at times), and I was truly shocked on my own instinctual reaction to this woman asking about my profession.
    I'm sorry that my blog made you feel defensive of your choice as a mother. I know you're an amazing mother AND an amazing teacher! I apologize for not sounding supportive of your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have made a wonderful decision that will bless Addison and Steve as you raise a good strong family! Love you guys...Mom

    ReplyDelete