Thursday, June 23, 2011

Potty Training: Take 2

If you haven't potty trained, be prepared for the second day slump. For me, the "slump" is the fact that your child probably won't be near as fascinated with potty training and being a big kid as they were the day before. Sure, Addison enjoyed her panties, but she didn't greet the training with as much excitement as before. I have to admit that I too was feeling a little less excited about our new adventure.
That does not mean there wasn't progress today. In fact, Addison today did not have any accidents. Now, you have to understand what I mean by accidents. Currently, Addison says "potty" and gives me "the look" right as she is about to go or right after she begins to pee. At that point, I become a member of SWAT whose mission it is to bear the ticking time bomb and to haul uh, booty to get that bomb out of the danger zone! I RUN (not joking) holding Addison saying, "Hold it! Hold it till we're on the potty!" Addison's panties are a LOT less wet today, so I think she is beginning to get the hang of it. I am hoping that tomorrow we continue to progress, although I am mentally preparing myself for digression. Reading and other friends have warned me that children sometimes digress after the novelty has worn off, so I'm trying to prepare for that.
How do I feel this adventure is going so far? Overall, I am very pleased with the progress. I am beginning to question the need for the rewards/sticker chart. It does help get her enthusiastic and helps her to be rewarded for going potty, but I do fear that she may at some point begin trying to potty just to get a sticker. There was a point today that she asked 3 times in 10 minutes to go potty, but nothing came out. Was that because she misread her body or because she wanted a sticker? Also, Addison sometimes gets upset that I am putting the hearts on her chart instead of on her body. Should I allow her to wear a sticker AND put one on her chart? Also, how long should this reward/chart routine occur? I'm THINKING that maybe after my stickers run out or my printed charts run out that it would a good time to call the rewards/charts quits. . .we'll see what happens. I didn't realize in potty training Addison that I would also be going through training too!

1 comment:

  1. It might be that you are getting trained and Addison is not. So be careful and you think that you are the "trained" one and not Addie it might be time to quit and wait a while.

    ReplyDelete